We have a problem.
No one thinks that they’re stupid, but if you’ve ever been in public you know that most people are, in fact, complete morons. And I think the issue isn’t a lack of inherent intelligence but more the fact that people are increasingly distracted and that distraction leads to profound situational stupidity.
We can’t change that, but it would be nice to be aware of the approximate “Situational Intelligence” (SI) of the people you’re dealing with. We should all wear hats that show our SI at any given moment. You go to check out at the grocery store you can see the SI of every cashier and everyone in line and decide “That line is longer but they are some focused, smart motherfuckers at the moment! I’m going there to pay for my Cheez-Its and tripe!”
IQ could be used as a baseline. The hat would then scan the person and the surroundings and make the appropriate adjustments. For example, say you enter a fast food restaurant:
- You have a smartphone= -5 points
- You have your smartphone out= -10 points
- Your smartphone is a Blackberry= -20 points
- It’s your first time in that establishment= -10 points
- You have children= -20 points
- You have children with you= -100 points
- You have your method of payment out and ready while in line= +10 points
- That method of payment includes a rubber change purse= -30 points
- You are with friends= -10 points
- You are with friends and you think you’re the funny friend= -50 points
- While in line you think about things like magic hats that display intelligence scores and honestly think hats like that couldn’t be that hard to invent= -200 points
Now, I don’t know how to build the technology, but it can’t be that hard so get cracking, smart people!
I’ll be over here working on scoring.