GPOY-“Corndog Of Sincere Happiness-2014 Edition!”
When I started on tumblr over 4 years ago, I was hesitant to post pictures of myself. In addition to the fact that I didn’t feel that posting selfies necessarily adhered to my two edicts for WTJG (All posts had to be entertaining and designed to entertain or inform an audience) I also just, you know, dislike my face.
But I started to realize that pictures of me humanized the site and made people understand that my posts were a reflection of who I was and not just a random collection of stuff. And usually people clicked the little heart on pictures of me more often than they clicked the heart on my creative content. At first that was frustrating but eventually I realized it wasn’t a dig on my content, it was an expression of the community’s desire to let me know “We like YOU, not just what you do.”
One of the first pictures I was comfortable posting was what I started calling my "Corndog of Sincere Happiness" picture.
It was taken during a trip to Disneyland and was, I noted at the time, the only picture I had from the previous five years showing me truly, unironically smiling and happy. As I began work through my "tropical depression" and sharing the journey on tumblr, the picture was a reminder to me that happiness was something that I had felt in the past, and could feel again. Any time I found myself spiraling and telling myself “depression is just who I am ” I used the picture to call myself on that particular piece of self defeating BS.
This winter, Disney brought some food trucks to Downtown Disney at the Walt Disney World Resort close to where I live and announced that they would be serving Disneyland style hand dipped corndogs, the best friggin’ corndogs in the world. This is me about to try my first Florida one.
Look at that smile.
Thanks to everyone who’s been with me on the ride these past few years. Life isn’t perfect, but after some tough years, there’s now more good in my life than bad. And I’m dealing with the bad that there is better than I have in years. Looks to me like I’m pretty happy and hopeful about what life has in store for me in 2014.
Or maybe I just really do like those corn dogs.
- geisterkinder likes this
- thereluctantoptimist likes this
- stuckysexual reblogged this from a-dog-and-his-best-friend
- a-dog-and-his-best-friend reblogged this from wellthatsjustgreat
- jimnasium likes this
- hotel-milk likes this
- skinny-withscars likes this
- jrichmanesq likes this
- ficklechick likes this
- futureworldblog likes this
- marinatinginmyawesomeness likes this
- khealywu likes this
- iamjustcara likes this
- bohemu likes this
- lilytrail likes this
- introvertedexplorer said: I appreciate you
- introvertedexplorer likes this
- sarahstocracy likes this
- bethanysworld likes this
- doctom666 said: thanx for your conviction…just don’t post on snapchat!!
- doctom666 likes this
- annaliselearns likes this
- absolutely-curious likes this
- nelsoncarpenter likes this
- mellysuzanne likes this
- iamnotlanuk likes this
- mspixiebelz likes this
- davesnothere likes this
- mellielou likes this
- terrisuewhocares likes this
- ivegotzooms likes this
- redqueenxlt likes this
- portkeytoinsanity likes this
- lazydad likes this
- 0nelittlespark likes this
- professionallush likes this
- corvidae30 likes this
- mcgarrygirl78 said: Corndogs are love : )
- rick2u likes this
- mcgarrygirl78 likes this
- rumorcontrol likes this
- pinkabrinka likes this
- thisismyboard likes this
- jamesraven likes this
- nourriture-et-fleurs said: You do matter! And we love you here - including but not limited to your face :)
- dver likes this
- nourriture-et-fleurs likes this
- davidkendall likes this
- coffeewithcalypso likes this
- almostfancynancy said: I like your face.